BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Very superstitious, writing’s on the wall

Baseball players (and fans) are among the most superstitious people on the planet.  Here’s the tale of Dennis Grossini.  On each pitching day, Grossini woke up at 10:00 a.m. on the dot.  In the afternoon, at 1 p.m., he would order two glasses of iced tea and a tuna sandwich from the nearest restaurant.  He would then change into the same sweatshirt and support he wore during his last winning game, and chew a wad of Beech-Nut chewing tobacco an hour before the game.  After each pitch he would touch the letters on his uniform, and after each ball he would straighten his cap.  The resin bag was always placed in the same spot throughout the game.  And at the end of each inning in which he gave up a run, he would wash his hands.

Insanity.

We believe in things like the Curse of the Bambino, lucky clothing, never speaking of a perfect game (or even a no-no) as it is in progress… Wade Boggs would eat chicken before each game.  No lie.  In a game where statistics rule, it’s no wonder we want to do the same things over and over if they have been proven in the past to work.  Therefore, it is in that spirit that I announce that I will never score another Yankees game ever again.  I have scored three games and they have lost all three.   Never mind the fact that I was wearing my lucky Yankees earrings as I scored them!   Apparently the bad juju of my scoring outweighs the historic luckiness of my white Yankees earrings.  I only pray that writing about my earrings have not zapped them of their power!

Behold my last Yankees scorecards!




2 comments:

The East Texas Democrat said...

The Red Sox nation sure did appreciate your score cards!

Unknown said...

As payback, I fully expect y'all to sweep the Rays this week!